Monitor.Us recently launches something that we think is truly groundbreaking: Free Internal Server and Network Monitoring Software as a Service. Now users of Monitor.Us, the free web server monitoring service, can download our internal agents onto Windows and Linux servers and monitor CPU, Memory, Disk, Load Average, MySQL, Processes, HTTP, Ping, and even SNMP, for free. Your server could be anywhere in the world and even behind firewalls.
Best of all, since we are a hosted service, all the performance data gets pushed to our cloud and you can access/manage it from anywhere. We hope sysadmins, webmasters, and developers will enjoy a free monitoring service that’s typically very time consuming to setup and maintain.
Here’s how to get started on a Windows machine. The whole process should take no more than 10 minutes. Skilled sysadmins can finish setup in 3 min.
Windows Monitoring Agent Setup Step by Step
1. After downloading the agent from the console or using the direct link, extract the .zip file and run Setup.exe
2. Start the Install Wizard by clicking “Next”.
3. Agree to the Terms and Agreements
4. Select the Directory you want to install the Smart Agent to and press “Next”.
5. Select the Start Menu Folder or tick “Do not create shortcut” and press “Install”.
6. Wait until the agent is installed and press “Close”.
7. Provide a Name for your agent that will appear in the console.
8. Register the agent with the same e-mail you use to login into your Monitoring Dashboard.
9. Setup the proxy server (if necessary).
10. Press “Run” to activate the agent.
You can now close the Paid Monitor Smart Agent Manager using the X in the top right corner of the window. It will stay active and will be accessible from the task bar.
You have now completed the process. Below you can see some samples.
Here’s a graph of CPU utilization over time. You can toggle between Use % and Kernel % and check the performance of separate cores at the bottom..
Here’s Free Memory and Virtual Memory over time.
And here’s a Process monitor. It shows the CPU, Memory and Virtual Memory being used by a process. This widget is currently in tabular view, but graphical view is also available at the top right.
That is it! It should take 5-10 mins to setup and it is much more cheaper and robust than having server in house. A huge advantage is that if we lose connection with your agent because your network or server goes dark, you will still get an alert!
The free internal monitors will do a check every 30 minutes, and there is currently no limit on how many you can add. The next post will go through a setup on Linux.
Sign Up Now and enjoy free server monitoring!